Thursday, February 12, 2009

Beef Roast (Janille) - Stew

I stole this from my sister because I was going to do a roast today, well I ended up deciding to use smaller pieces and go with more of a pot roast...then Cary came home and he said he'd rather have stew, so I turned it into stew. :-) But here's a roast recipe anyway.



Beef roast (Janille)

Category: Dinner
Ingredients: 1 ½ - 2 cups beef bullion (I use Wyler’s granules)
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS oregano
2 tsp basil
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder (Or put slices of onion in)
1 tsp pepper

Directions: 1 ½ - 2 cups beef bullion (I use Wyler’s granules)1 TBS Worcestershire sauce1 TBS oregano2 tsp basil2 tsp garlic powder2 tsp onion powder (Or put slices of onion in)1 tsp pepper
Mix the ingredients with the beef bullion and pour over the roast in the crockpot. Cook for 6 hours or longer (can go a LONG time) on low. If you want to add potatoes and carrots, be sure to put them in the crockpot BEFORE you put the meat in. They won’t overcook this way. Put the meat on top of the vegetables and then pour the broth over all of them.
___________________________________________________________ As I said, I did mine a little differently. I had a couple pieces of this meat.
Added some Carrots

Added a few potatoes. (Aidan doesn't like Potatoes so I did more Carrots)

Add water to cover and I added about 8 tps of Beef boulion
Add the spices. (Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Pepper, etc......)

After I decided it was going to be stew I pulled the meat out and cut it into smaller pieces
Pulled some broth out

Mixed Cornstarch in it for my thickener.

What it looks like. (I like my stew really thick, so if you don't want it THAT thick don't make as much as I did) ;-)

After I added the Cornstarch mix. Now wait for it to boil and thicken.

All done.

Now serve with Onion Boule bread and Extra Sharp Cheddar.
___________________________________________________________________
(Janille's comments below)
~ Some Ideas for Roast leftovers~

French Dip Sandwiches
After the original meal, slice the roast into sandwich slices. Put the leftover broth in a separate container and refrigerate. After the juice has cooled, you can scrape the fat off the top of it. When you are ready to begin your meal, put the slices of meat in the crockpot again. Pour the juice over it and turn on low for about 2 hours. You can use the broth for au jus for your sandwiches! If you like your broth to add more flavor, add spices, etc. as desired for flavor.

Stew
After the original meal, cut the roast into the size pieces you want for your stew to save time later. Save your broth. Refrigerate long enough to scrape the fat off the top of the broth. Cut up potatoes and carrots (And whatever other veggies you want.) Potatoes cook faster than carrots so I wouldn’t suggest cooking them together. While your veggies are cooking, get your broth boiling so you can thicken it. Use approximately ½ cup flour for 1 cup of water for thickening. (I blend mine together in the blender so there won’t be any lumps!) After broth is boiling, add the thickener until it is the desired consistency. Add your meat and veggies. At this point, you can put the stew in a crock pot for a few hours on low or you can heat everything through and serve immediately. If you are going to do the crockpot method, don’t overcook the vegetables or they’ll get mushy.

Meat Pie
If you get tired of stew and still have leftovers you can make meat pie. Or you can bypass the stew altogether and use your leftover roast for meat pie. You’ll need one two-crust pie crust (I have a great recipe if you want). Cut up roast. Cut up approximately 3 carrots and 3 potatoes. Cook potatoes and carrots most of the way through but DON’T overcook. Make 3-4 cups of gravy while the veggies are cooking. I use a flour and water thickener to make my gravy. Drain veggies and add the vegetables and meat to the gravy. Use a cup to scoop the mixture into your pie crust – this way you won’t get too much gravy. Fill the pie crust to the desired level and the put your top crust on. At this point, you can either cook the meat pie now or refrigerate and cook later. It needs to cook for 1 hour at 350.
All of these recipes can be manipulated to do what you want to with them. This is just what I do!

No comments:

Similar Recipies

Blog Widget by LinkWithin