Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Enchiladas (Pioneer Woman)


I've been eyeing this recipe of Pioneer Woman's for quite a while, but it looked rather intimidating because of all the steps. I went ahead and did it anyway but I got short on time and had to do some shortcuts. (If I don't serve dinner on TIME the men around here get really CRANKY) :-) So if you want to see how she does it, I put a link there for you to go to her site, but I'll post her recipe here and tell you what I did.


PW’s Favorite Enchiladas

THE SAUCE
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 large (28-ounce) can enchilada or red sauce (I was trying to scale it down so I used a 20 oz can)
2 cups chicken broth (and 1 c broth)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped Cilantro
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and flour and whisk together to make a past, cooking for 1 minute. Pour in other red sauce, chicken broth, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.

THE MEAT
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I only used 1 pd)
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies (I forgot to get these)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Brown meat with onions in a skillet. Drain off fat. Stir in 2 cans diced green chilies and seasoned salt. Set aside.

TORTILLAS
10 to 14 corn tortillas (I'll use Flour Tortillas next time, but just because I like them better)
½ cup canola oil
Heat canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. One by one, using tongs, fry tortillas oil until soft, not crisp—about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat until all tortillas have been fried. (I thought the frying was unnecessary, but I did it anyway, and wouldn't do it again)

ASSEMBLY
Sauce (above)
Meat (above)
Tortillas (above)
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup chopped black olives
1 cup chopped green onions
½ cup chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pour ½ cup red sauce in bottom of baking pan. Spread to even out.
Dip each tortilla into red sauce, then remove to work surface. Spoon meat, a little grated cheese, a little black olives, and green onions in the center of tortilla. Roll up and place, seam down, in baking pan. Repeat until pan is filled. Pour extra red sauce over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until bubble. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over enchiladas before serving.

Brown the meat
Mix the Oil and Flour
Add your Chopped Onion, and I forgot to buy Green Chiles so I didn't have any of those.
Cook the Oil and Flour until bubbly and then add the Chicken Broth and Enchilada Sauce
Stir together.
Heat up the Corn tortillas (for future reference, I'll be skipping this step next time)
Add chopped Cilantro to the sauce
Chop up some Green Onions, Olives, and Cilantro. ( Cary doesn't like Olives, but PW said everyone has to try them anyway) :-)
I went ahead and just mixed the Cilantro, Olives, and Green Onions to the Meat.
And Cheese
I put some of the Sauce in there too since I knew I didn't have time to dip the Tortillas in the Sauce before filling and rolling.
Pour some of the Sauce into the bottom of the pan
Fill up Tortilla's, roll, and put seam facing down in pan.
Like so.
Pour remaining Sauce over the top
Spread remaining grated Cheese over the top and bake at 350 until bubbly
After it's done, garnish with chopped Green Onion and Cilantro
Top with Sour Cream
Cary and I both liked this recipe, but we're not big fans of Corn Tortillas and so next time I'll probably use Flour Tortillas.

No comments:

Similar Recipies

Blog Widget by LinkWithin